It seems like ages since Parisian Horizontal Disco innovator Zimmer released a new track. Aside from a series of excellent mixtapes, and a handful to top reMixes,, we haven’t heard a new tune since, we think, the actual Horizontal Disco EP. Mr. (Le) Crayon steps up to help out with drum duties on Galapagos, a suitably evocative title for this Tropical meets Chicago House jam.
Galapagos, delivers a nice line in pitched down vocals and chilled House groove that Zimmer has chosen to pair with Tropical purcussion and an Island lead line. The whole affair end up being bizarrely warehouse, with the Tropical lead somehow morphing into a classic Rave hook in Zimmer’s deft hands. We guess the track would work equally well by the pool or in the crowd, it’s adapted for either situation. For us though, we’re going to take the chilled route with this one.
Let’s send you into your weekend with something a little funky and a little fun. One of out favourite French producers, Zimmer, the master of horizontal Disco, has seen fit to deliver a stomping rework of Rod Stewart’s 1978 cheesefest Da’ Ya’ Think I’m Sexy?.
Not to sure what to say about this really, you’ll either love it or hate it. Zimmer whips up a pumping bassline and a killer beat to add to this monster. A sweet amount of Cosmic Disco synth warbling is along for the ride too, but your opinion of this track will still rest on whether you are amused by the tracks instantly recognisable riff and Stewart’s cringe-worthy vocals, or depressed by them. We definitely fall into the amused camp, put a smile of your face this weekend.
The tracklist: 01. Jupiter – Oh I (Concorde reMix) 02. Bronx – Sundays 03. Patrick Baker – This Love (Higher) 04. Rudimental – Hell Could Freeze (Skream reMix) 05. Statickman – The End Of The Times (Auxiliary Tha Masterfader reMix) 06. Iñigo & Dan Solo – La Nueva Era 07. Cyber People – Void Vision (Zimmer Edit) 08. Raf – Self Control (Irregular Disco Workers Edit) 09. Drop Out Orchestra – Trees, Grass & Stones 10. Liebe – Strangers (Pelifics Dub) 11. Lucky Stripes – Take Me Dancing (Erkka reMix) 12. Tesla Boy – 1991 (Xinobi reMix) 13. RÜFÜS – Take Me 14. Decibels – Ruza (Skeleton Army reMix) 15. Trésors – Pleine Lune (Anoraak reMix) 16. Hanni El Khatib – Penny (Classixx reMix) 17. Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing (Krystal Klear reMix) 18. ColeCo – Things Ain’t The Same 19. Justin Timberlake – Suit & Tie (Julio Bashmore reMix) 20. Alex Pace (Feat. Anna Paul) – I Feel 21. Darius & Le Crayon – Alicia
Zimmer – January Tape (Brighter Days) = More Horizontal Disco from the originator right here. Including a couple of fresh new reMixes from the man, Zimmer’s new mixtape sums up the best that’s fun and funky right now.
01. Air Zaïre – Play 02. Glenn Dale – UNI 03. Anna Lunoe & Worldlife – Tom’s Diner (The Coconut Wireless Mix) 04. Dan Solo – Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll 05. Lafayette – Mauvaise Mine (Jupiter reMix) 06. Sanza & Phunktsastike – Locovox 07. Rotkraft – To Love You 08. Du Tonc – Darkness 09. The Other Tribe – Sing With Your Feet 10. Kamp! – Melt (Zimmer reMix) 11. Grizzly Bear – Gun-Shy (Lindstrøm reMix) 12. Julian Lennon – Too Late For Goodbyes (Aimes Edit) 13. iCube – Edit Service 7 14. Rambla Boys (Feat. Stee Downes) – Rock Solid 15. Falcon Punch & Roller Radio – I Might Be Gone 16. Bixel Boys – Love Like This 17. Devolution – My Friends 18. Anna Lunoe – Empty Girl 19. Stare & Whisper (LNTG Interpretation)
Zimmer – October Tape (Lust) = Here’s the latest mixtape from Belgium’s finest purveyor of Horizontal Disco, Zimmer. Loaded with analog Disco jams including a couple of tasty previews *cough*Worship & Aux*cough*.
01 Chromatics – Looking For Love 02 Only Children – Falling 03 Air Zaïre – All For You 04 Lou Teti – Cool It Off (Bronx reMix) 05 Strange Talk – Cast Away (Plastic Plates reMix) 06 RAC (Feat. Penguin Prison) – Hollywood (Cassian reMix) 07 Atlas Genius – Back Seat (Goldroom reMix) 08 Moullinex – Summerman (Reprise) 09 Worship – Forever Orion (Auxiliary Tha Masterfader Electric Disco Mix) 10 Yuksek – Off The Wall (DJ Harvey Remix) 11 Tyson – Mr. Rain (Mario Basanov Vocal Remake) 12 Fabo (Feat. Lostcause) – Where I Stand (Karmon reMix) 13 Pompeya – Power (Zimmer reMix) 14 Jean Winner – Alive And Kicking (Zimmer reMix) 15 Kolombo – Waiting For 16 Panama – It’s Not Over
Zimmer – September Tape ‘Cinematic’ = It;s Disco on all Planes these days from Belgian groovemeister Zimmer. With his September line-up he brings some seriously smooth grooves in his Horizontal Disco hour.
01. Jessie Ware – Night Light (Perseus reMix)
02. Robin Thicke – Lost Without You (Dublin Aunts Daytime Sex Mix)
03. Inigo & Future Feelings – Cosmo Voyage
04. Fishing Vest – First Standard
05. Jean Claude Gavri – Non Stop
06. Luke Million – Ice Ice Arnie (Cool Party)
07. Bufi – Take It & Feel It
08. Spagna – Easy Lady (Lady Jane & Simon Le Saint Edit)
09. Mirror People – Kaleidoscope
10. Escort – Starlight (RAC reMix)
11. Walker & Royce – Little Things (Dub Mix)
12. Emeron & Fox – Nightmares (Monitor66 reMix)
13. Moonwalk – Girl For You
14. Good Guy Mikesh & Filburt – No Other (Instrumental)
15. Hot Chip – Night & Day (Bufi Dub)
16. Dana Begquist & Peder G – Survive
17. Jonas Rathsman – W4W
18. Jupiter – Juicy Lucy (Zimmer reMix)
19. Chic – Everybody Dance (Zimmer Rework)
20. The Victoria’s – Tendresse (Acid Washed reMix)
21. Beacon – Feeling’s Gone (Fort Romeau’s Shibuya Edit)
Juicy Lucy (Needs A Boogieman), the title track from awesome French ElectroPop duo Jupiter’s début album is getting s single release this week, in all it’s Moog Funk glory. It’s accompanied by an absolutely stunning reMix package.
It;s hard to say Juicy Lucy (Needs A Boogieman) was one of the standouts of the album, when the album contained nearly one-hundred percent killer tracks, but it certainly was one of the tracks that sticks in your head, with it’s twisted P-Funk bassline and infectiously catchy chorus. It’s the prefect mix of sweet ElectroPop and warm French Disco. Our girl Little Boots delivers a majestic reMix that mixes up a deep 90s House vibe with a few Cosmic elements. Vicky brings a hypnotic dancefloor groove, layered with and uplifting piano hook and some great robo-vocoding. Punks Jump Up go down the warped Disco route with their reMix, the funky squelch bass powering the track along and commanding you to dance amidst the piercing synth stabs. Belgian angled Disco-meister Zimmer takes us down a Kraftwerk meets Moroder road with his take on the track. A deep electronic, at times Acidic pulse, that belies some seriously beautiful melodies.
Vertical Disco? What the hell is Vertical Disco? Here’s me just coming to terms with Horizontal Disco when one of our favourite Frenchmen Zimmer, Horizontal Disco king, goes all 90° on us and drops a big chunk of upright boogie.
A long time staple of his DJ sets, Zimmer has unleashed his edit of Chic‘s absolute classic Everybody Dance. Sucking the hook right out of the track and emphasising it to it’s fullest effect, Zimmer truly gets the art of the Edit right. Taking the immediately recognisable groove and tweaking it to dancefloor perfection. It’s an Reworking that would have made the disco pioneers of the Edit proud. Now, I think, it’s time we prepare for Diagonal Disco. Y’know, just so we aren’t taken by surprise.
Remember Belgian outfit Montevideo’s Horses from back in February? A track that combined a New York Disco feel (no doubt helped by recording at DFA’s studio) with an Italo feel. The band are currently working on their new release, but in the meantime they, and Discotexas, are giving ways two new reMixes of Horses to tide us over until their second album drops.
First premièred on his last mixtape is Zimmer reMix. A burbling Disco tune that piles on the Cosmic elements and it’s fair share of cowbell. Pure Horizontal Disco, as Zimmer would term it, the track runs with bubbling analog bass and frantic percussion on a galactic trip that deserves an Animé video. The second reMix comes from Discotexas core trio of Moullinex, Xinobi & Mr. Mitsuhirato who kick of with a reverby 909 beat and proceed to fold an ‘90’s House vibe into a European Disco groove, the result is pretty unique and pretty captivating. Totally a track to get lost in.
Zimmer – June Tape ‘Tobogan’ = Tobogan is French Analog Disco producer Zimmer’s latest mixtape. This month it’s a hour of deep Disco with a Tropical flavour for the coming warm weather. Laid back beats and luscious grooves rule all.
01. Bon Iver – Towers (Slow Hands Cover)
02. Bronx – I’ll Be Loving You
03. Rick Astley – Never Gonna Give You Up (Drop Out Orchestra Dub)
04. Van She – Jamaica (Plastic Plates reMix)
05. ColeCo – Ricky Smiley
06. Chordashian – Illusions
07. Little Boots – Headphones (Moon Boots reMix)
08. Dublin Aunts – Heartbreak Reputation (LNTG Found A Groove reMix)
09. Montevideo – Horses (Zimmer reMix)
10. Bit Funk – It Ain’t Easy
11. Cassian – I Love It
12. Jonas Rathsman – Since I Don’t Have You
13. The Faint – Battlehymn For Children (Tensnake Dub)
14. Para One (Feat. Teki Latex) – Lean On Me
15. Poolside Music – Slow Down
16. Giselle – Silk (Cosmic Kids reMix)